About

Blockers and Pillars come from Up for Growth’s housing framework.

PillarsWhat a policy response does

BlockersWhy housing doesn’t get built

Bills & programs2

Bills, laws, rules and programs

Select any filters. Results update as you go.

Clear all

Showing 3 of 52 pieces

Results

March 24, 2026 WRITING | ESSAY

Why limiting investment time horizons for build-to-rent communities is bad for affordable housing

I explain why treating purpose-built rental neighborhoods like scattered investor-owned homes risks shrinking the capital stack behind new housing supply.
Open
January 17, 2020 WRITING | ESSAY

New Rochelle, New York: A case study in how focusing on transit can increase housing options

I recount how New Rochelle rezoned its downtown around its train station, and why the Build More Housing Near Transit Act aimed to encourage that approach.
Open
March 15, 2019 WRITING | ESSAY

Housing is the environmental issue of our time

I connect housing, transportation, land use, and environmental outcomes, asking how where we build homes changes travel, land consumption, and emissions.
Open