About

Blockers and Pillars come from Up for Growth’s housing framework.

PillarsWhat a policy response does

BlockersWhy housing doesn’t get built

Bills & programs2

Bills, laws, rules and programs

Select any filters. Results update as you go.

Clear all

Showing 3 of 52 pieces

Results

July 29, 2021 WRITING | ESSAY

Ending single-family zoning? Not quite.

I separate what zoning reform can do from what it cannot, arguing for more housing options without pretending land-use reform solves every constraint.
Open
February 28, 2020 WRITING | ESSAY

Solutions to the housing crisis come in all sizes – including small homes

I use accessory dwelling units to show why legalizing housing is only the first step when financing, permitting, construction, and tax barriers remain.
Open
May 17, 2019 WRITING | ESSAY

The Legacy of Redlining Lives on Today Through Exclusionary Zoning

I compare 1930s redlining grades with zoning maps in St. Louis and Portland to show how exclusionary single-family zoning sustains old patterns of segregation.
Open